Makeup is therapeutic for me. I was always the student who would stop studying hours before an exam, and instead use the time to shower and put on at least a half face of makeup, just because it made me feel so much better. The same applies to being ill. I have been down with a bad throat, so when I felt down in the dumps, of course I decided to dress up my face.. (stop judging).
With my skin looking particularly dull, I wanted to cheat a glow, and add a flush. I used a lot of old favourites (as you can probably tell by the “well-loved” and abused packaging). Here’s how I created the look:
- Mixed one part Laura Mercier Radiance Primer with two parts Dior Skin Nude BB Cream in Fair 002. I didn’t bother applying the primer before the BB cream (just because..), but you feel free to do so.
Other similar primers include high-end products like Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, or budget friendly options such as the NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator, Body Shop Radiant Highlighter.
- Tarte CC Undereye Corrector in Light-Medium to cover those hideous dark circles from staying up coughing all night, with some Maybelline Eraser Concealer in Light. I may have used my Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Concealer on another day, but this is a slightly lighter colour and so it brightens the undereye.
- The cheeks and nose were discreetly sculpted using the Burberry Effortless Contour Pen in Medium 01 (view my post here), and I applied one of my favourite everyday blushes – Fratboy by The Balm and the ultimate highlight with the Mary Lou-Manizer highlighter.
- For my eyes, I tried the new L’Oreal Super Liner (Perfect Slim), and I am in love! I would not call it a ‘drugstore’ product because it is more mid-ranged, but it is waterproof, and truly stays on all day. The tip is very thin, but still flexible enough to create a good mini winged eye look. I think it gives good competition to my favourite Kat Von D Tattoo Liner. The only difference is maybe in the way it comes off. The L’Oreal liner can be slightly smudge-y when coming off, while the KVD liner is much more bullet-proof.
- The fun part – the pop of colour under the eye. I love doing this for a slightly smokey and a little less-boring eye look; I lined a little outside my lower waterline with the Sephora Jumbo Eye Crayon in Green. These crayons come in a variety of colours, and are very comfortable to apply and blend out slightly with the finger. They claim to be 12-hr wear, and I can definitely get through the day with these. Infact, I like the slightly faded look it gives by the end of the day. However, I feel that I need to apply a kohl into the waterline as well to avoid looking washed out (or having green eyelashes).
- Finished off the look with a natural lip using Clinique lip colour in Melon Pop. This has a glossy texture and is very easy to wear (not long lasting though).
Here’s the finished look.